Requesting new departmental accounts
If you need a new account you need to do the following:
- Go to the OIT Departmental Accounts page and submit the online form. This account is free of charge.
- Once the owner receives confirmation the account has been created they should call 1-HELP (612-301-4357) and ask to have the account enabled for Google.
- Proceed to section Migrating departmental accounts to Google to migrate the new account to Google.
Migrating departmental accounts to Google
Migrating departmental accounts is the same as migrating an individual account to Google with just a couple of special considerations.
- To request that your departmental account be enabled for Google Apps, the owner of the account should call 1-HELP (612-301-4357) and ask to have Google enabled for the account name. 1-HELP will validate the owner by asking a few questions before proceeding.
- Note that to opt into Google Apps on behalf of the departmental account, you must use the departmental account's Internet ID and password to authenticate at http://umn.edu/myaccount, rather than your individual Internet ID and password.
Accessing departmental accounts in Google
To access multiple Google accounts:
- Use Google Email Delegation
- Sign out of your primary account in your web browser and sign into another account
- Open your primary account in Firefox and open a secondary account in Internet Explorer (This allows for you to sign into two accounts and switch between two program windows.)